Over World Mental Health Day (October 10th) we were able to take some time to reflect on the importance of our mental health and how we can prioritise certain elements of our lives to nurture and protect it.
While several aspects of our mental health are dictated by elements out of our control, it is even more important to ensure that we are well placed to put ourselves first when we need to, to avoid the feeling of losing control.
At London Lingual Orthodontic Clinic, spreading smiles is what we do.
Working every day to perfect and protect the smiles of our patients means that we see first-hand the benefits that investing in your smile can have on general wellbeing, including mental health.
So how can investing in your smile impact your wellbeing?
The Oxford English Dictionary defines Wellbeing as ‘the state of being comfortable, healthy, or happy’.
While we recognise that there are several contributing factors to comfort, health, and happiness, it is worth noting that maintaining good oral health can contribute to all three positively, here’s how:
- Enjoying food and drink without oral pain or discomfort.
- Feeling good about your smile offers a sense of comfort through improved confidence. Smile without inhibition!
- Maintaining good oral health reduces your risk of heart disease, hypertension, stroke, Alzheimer’s disease, and diabetic complications.
- Smiling has been linked with an increase in heart rate, which is then followed by muscle relaxation and a period of decreased heart rate and blood pressure, something that is thought to prevent heart disease.
- When we are happy, we smile, and although many people are conscious of their smiles, we believe each smile is beautiful and unique. By investing in your smile, you’ll likely feel happier with its appearance.
- By prioritising your oral health, you will minimise long-term dental-related expenses, further improving your financial security which is one of the most common contributions to poor mental health.
- Boost your self-esteem by having a smile you are proud to share with the world. Read our tips for increasing confidence.
If you would like to find out more about how you can perfect and protect your smile, you can find our available treatments in the navigation bar at the top of the page.
Alternatively, you can call and speak to one of our friendly team members on 020 7486 2883.